Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Nadja News: Read Mama a Story
by Jolivette Anderson 'the poet warrior'

Nadja now has about three or so nicknames. She is 1) the baby punka nunka (after her auntie Tufara in Little Rock), 2) Baby Grandma (from the folks at her daycare because she is developing rather quickly), 3) Nadja Dou (short for her last name-that I may change to my last name once I officially get rid of the marriage that never was cause I was the only one in the marriage actually being married)

Nadja's development is humbling me in a way that I can not describe. She is walking, she is studying situations, she is imitating sounds, she says hi and bye and waves, she has eight teeth and she is only 11 months old. What makes me the proudest though is that she is a 'happy baby'. She wakes up asking questions, expecting to be treated with the same routine Monday through Friday and for the weekends, she expects School House Rock on the DVD player and free reign over the living room while Mama is half sleep on the couch.

She has charm and uses it, at 11 months old!

Nadja also loves books. I read to her often. I began reading to her when she was in the womb. I remember those evenings when I would go up to Barnes and Noble and sit in the children's section to just browse for titles. I found Baby Einstein and several African American books. Before she was 6 weeks old, we made weekly trips to the bookstore. I did not realize that because of all of that, Nadja would start trying to read to me at 11 month old.

Of course, she did not speak words, but she knew that to look at a book cover, something was suppose to come out of my mouth. Each time a page turned, something was suppose to come out of my mouth. So, instead of waiting on me, she began turning pages and making sounds.

I felt beautiful and proud to be her Mama!

By the way, she has learned her 'Ms' so she say Ma Ma a whole lot (smile)!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home