Tuesday, March 27, 2007

In Memory of Morgan Guice (A Mama's Perspective)

I find myself calling the daycare EVERY DAY after I drop my infant daughter off in another person's care while I work eight hours a day. This was not the behavior I exhibited just a month ago, so what has changed inside of me? The sad news of one of our students being killed in a car accident over spring break sent me into a silent, internal frenzy, from a Mama's perspective.

Morgan Guice was a beautiful spirit! She filled the room with her energy. Young sister was loud, proud, and able to tell you exactly what was on her mind. I first noticed Morgan when I began working at Purdue. She would walk in the door and say a word in Creole to the graduate student Rudy Chervil, who is from Haiti. Unbeknownst to me, that was the only word she knew in Creole and when I realized that, it was very funny. I also have memories of Morgan facilitating a discussion on Images of Black Women in music videos. She believed in having a good time and enjoying life but she had a serious side that was developing into a artist and possibly an activist. I miss her.

If this were two years ago and I did not have Nadja I know I would respond differently to Morgan's death. Being a mother/mama/mami, has made me a more compassionate warrior. I will do any and everything to protect and respect life while at the same time, if threatened, I would defend my child (and yours) to the death if we find ourselves in harm's way.

I think this seeming contradiction perplexes the hell out of menfolk. Ours in an inner strength that can not be measured by how much weight we can lift or how toned our muscles are. Ours is a strength that takes care of EVERY THING so that we can hold on to our humanity. Think about it. What is more revolutionary than putting food in the mouth of your children and your man cause you have the insight to know that they gonna have to eat and that they gonna need toilet paper to wipe their butts, they gonna need clothes and shoes cause the weather / seasons are changing so you plan all this in your head while finding a way to make all this stuff happen SO YOUR PEOPLE CAN BE LOVED, PROTECTED, WARM IN THE WINTER AND COOL IN THE SUMMER --- SHIT! MAMA'S DO ALL THIS WORK! It is in the way we think, the way we simply BE!

So, for the look in Wade Steffey's mothers eyes I say I am sorry for your loss. For the look in Morgan Guice's mother and fathers eyes, I say I am so sorry for your loss, but know that your child touched the lives of many and I thank you for being the people that she came through.

Aman, Awoman, A child & Ase

Peace on your sacred journey,
Jolivette (Djali)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cuzzo, our perspectives truly change when we become Mothers, protectors, givers of life, providers... we see things much different when we have our own offspring to guide. I give my sincere sympathy to this student's family for their loss, but rejoice in that she touched you and others in profound ways. May God continue to bless our own girls & all children to keep them safe from all harm & danger. PEACE

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH - and I relate 100% about calling the daycare frequently, checking on your offspring. I did the same thing 13 years ago with the first one, and now that I've been blessed with the 2nd one, I find myself checking on her constantly. You make me proud cuz!
Love ya!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home