Monday, March 26, 2007

Mommy's Night Out: Hanna Center Open Mic

On Friday, March 23, 2007, I hosted an open mic set at the Hanna Community Center here in Lafayette, IN. I did not host it as a person who works for Purdue University. I hosted the set as 'the poet warrior', the name I gave myself over 10 years ago to be the voice of the Black happenings in Jackson, Mississippi and the world.

It felt good hosting a set again. I hadn't felt that good since Mississippi Vibes at Highlights in Tougaloo, MS, since Jazzoetry with E.B. and Company at that coffeehouse, since opening for Patti, Brian, Jonathan, Louis, Rosa, Myrlie and on and on and on. I got 'back to me' and it felt damn good. It felt so good, I kept calling the babysitter, thinking something was wrong. It is really foul that thinking like that is inside of me. I know it inside of every woman that feeling of 'if you feel to good about yourself, you are doing something wrong'. WHO OR WHAT CREATED THAT MESS?

I am currently reading a book for my American Studies class called 'Where the Girls Are'. I have only read the introduction, but I can see that the author is speaking to me when she speaks of the 'contradictions' we have and how that defines being an 'American woman' (and she acknowledges that she is dealing with American white woman and has not the insight to deal with being African American and female. For today, I embrace the contradiction that lives in me, that is fed to me through media. I don't know what will become of it, but for today, I embrace it and move forward with trying to figure me out so I can love me better.

For the record, Juanita and Cyneque (of Haraka Writers) rocked the house. Juanita started the revolution with her poem 'When you left' that tells black men how many black women feel about interracial relationships. The pain of not being good enough for you is hardly ever discussed for fear of hurting folks feelings. Many think this to be a rainbow world of diversity where everyone gets along, well, it ain't! There are some historical issues that have not been resolved individually and collectively because many of us refuse to create enviornments where healthy dialogue can take place. Pieces like hers at least give us a chance to open dialogue about how we feel so the black woman is not rendered invisible ALL OVER AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Sister Cynequa brought peace like a gentle rain with her words and vocals. More on her at a later date.

peace on your sacred journey,
Jolivette (Djali)

PS- I will be the host and the featured poet on April 27 at the Hanna Center with Blackberry Jam Band. I am too excited!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home