Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Black Family
by Jolivette Anderson 'the poet warrior'
(c) april 7, 2007

Male and Female relationships are important because they are what makes the family function in a healthy way. Black male and female relationships in the family I come from where long-lasting. Uncle Jim and Aunt Genevie were married for 65 years. My mom and dad were married for 40 years and a couple of months before dad died (amen-ase).

When my father died, I felt extremely guilty for not giving him a grandchild. I felt that he thought that his blood would not continue. He only had one biologically that was his own, Jamir, my nephew. My older and younger sisters are not going to have any children for various medical reasons. So, here I am, mid 30s at the time, but not financially ready, no steady boyfriend.

I had planned to go to the sperm bank at age 40 and take my chances. Afterall, there is so much Frankenstein shit out there you can have children into your 50s if you can afford the medical bills. Instead, of the three men I was dating off and on, I begain asking the questions, would you consider being the father of our child. This was possibly the wrong way to ask the question because 'in my mind' this means we will have to get married and form a partnership that would grow into love instead of falling in love and having the fairytale crap happen. This is at the root of my present relationship ordeal with my husband.

He is from Africa and wanted a green card. As long as we are in this for the long haul, I have no problem with that, afterall, we are getting married and trying to have a baby so naturally, I want you to have peace of mind and be able to move around in the country without fear and anxiety (as best a black man can).

Oh what a fucking mistake it was for me to think this way. Africans (some of them), immigration, green cards. I have never met so many lying, deceitful, dishonest people in my life. If being in this country is so wonderful and where you come from is so bad that you don't want to go back to it so you do the kinds of things he and his people do to stay here... I am very fortunate for not knowing that level of poverty. I have compassion but I don't think that a human being should sink that low to use me, my father and mother, my sisters and brothers and our unborn child (at the time) to leverage whether or not you will stay in the U.S. or leave it.

While I tried to maintain my principles ( I took his two sons into my home, I took care of all of the bills, I worked until I was 8 months and 3 weeks pregnant, I filled out all the paperwork and handled all administrative communication written and verbal with INS / Homeland Security) and I mean EVERYTHING, and as soon as the card came through, when our daughter was 3 weeks old--HE LEFT!

As I reflect on it now, after losing almost all of who I am as a woman while trying to figure out who I am as a Mother, I realize that his character was below low and it would have been that way with or without the greencard. Maybe INS will find a measuring tool for Iwa Pele (good character) and send those without away--this is wishful thinking based on personal baggage of course, but there is much to be said for how we as women see the actions of men and what we allow ourselves to take and to not take.

I messed up. I believe babies need daddies and women need men IN THE HOME WORKING AND BUILDING THINGS TOGETHER. As a woman, I should have waited on God to send him. As a mother, my child is perfection in my eyes. As for riding the wave between these two realities, I understand now how women who did not love their husbands anymore stayed in relationships for the children. Two incomes is better than one. A woman and a man get to live out their full potential (go back to school, have hobbies, travel, go out sometimes) when two people partner together.

If marriage is Euro Centric and a part of the state, it is still what I believe in for manovering in this country and raising children in healthy environments.

more later,
Jolivette

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey J, I read your blog and find what you said very interesting but I disagree on several parts. I think that there are some assumptions that you have made that you must reconsider and think about. 1) That folks who are married pool their resources financially and etc. No Ma'am, this is not always the case (call me and I will give you several examples). I think you are extremely idealistic.2) to have a father and mother in the home together is always beneficial. Its not if the relationship is dysfunctional and the parents make each other crazy. 3) Loving that man is a mess up. If you hadn’t you would not have Nadja and Love is a human attribute. Plus, Frankenstein is for the movies and for Yacub’s grafted children. The mess up is in him acting like a savage, avoiding/ignoring the Divine in him and mistreating a woman whom the Creator has a Divine hand-on.

Now, my baggage I grew up part of my life with both of my parents married and for part of my life and them divorced. They divorced when I was 8yrs old. The day my parents divorce was final I was happy because they were both miserable that made us miserable little children. My parents had joint custody and this was fabulous. We had both our parents without the drama. My mother worked and now that I look back she did most things financially on her own before the divorce and continued after. Mom was the primary breadwinner. Things were better after the divorce in our lives because she was just feeding us and not my daddy. My Dad wasn’t a bad dude, he was just not as skilled as my Momma. Seeing my mother do what she did it taught me that the only thing I need my life consistently is Faith and Belief in the Creator. A man no...but Amen yes. All right I love ya and I was supposed to comment and not blogg to your blogg but I couldn’t resist.

There are some flowers in Zambia that when you look at them from afar they look wonderfully beautiful and you want to pick them and take them home. I have been gulity of doing so and I realize on my way to the house that they smell like poop.So, I leave you with this...there is nothing wrong with picking a flower that you think is beautiful but there is something wrong with holding on to it when you know it smells like shit and will make you shitty smelling. So, now wash your hands and stay away from the shity flower beds. Luv Ya, Tuf

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joli....

I too disagree with the idea in your post that two people in partnership some how can better develop their potential. The problem I think I have with that is that it backhandedly implies that potential can not be developed to its maximum without a partner and you know how I would roll about that! Now slow your roll I KNOW you did not say that but sometimes what we don't say is just as important as what we do or more important.
You also allude to the economic benefit of marriage hmmmmmm....something in me has a problem with that and I did not realize it until I read your post. You did mention in your post the possibility of marriage being eurocentric and if so , oh well you believe in it etc... That's cool but what I find myself thinking is if marriage is suppose to be driven by capitalism. I guess what I an trying to explore in my thinking is the notion that perhaps the motive for marriage has adapted/adopted...eurocentric motives i.e. capitalism. As I am thinking perhaps I need to examine marriage from traditional afrocentric viewpoints.
I enjoy the dialogue. Let's keep talking. I even signed up and am going to start a blog myself. See what you started....lolol

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear J,
While most of us want to be open and honest (we want to say we are transparent), sometimes there is a thing called TMI (too much information). Being tansparent does not require us to provide a laundry list of our dysfunction. It only calls for us to be who we are at all times--not who we think folks want to believe we are.

I beleive that you are a woman of worth. I believe that you were the best daughter you knew how to be - inspite of the fact that you believe your self-worth was tied up in producing a grandchild. I believe you are a great mother. I believe you wanted to be a good wife. I also believe that you wanted to destroy the "ugly step-mother" myth. But... I believe that you can only be the best you that you can be today. Don't spend anytime beating up on yourself about all of the things you thought you didn't do right. Take the first step in reclaiming Jolly by deleting the negatives on your page. Love yourself and your baby and others will too!

So it is written, now let it be done. (Heard that one in "The Ten Commandments" movie.)

Yo other mama from Arkansas

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I married African man from Nigeria, he live in London, they are all the same out to get GREEN CARD, but he did not get the card with me I saw the signs of lying,deceit not being vested in the marriage.he still want me to fill out paperwork for him, we do not live together now,but he asked me to do him a favor and fill out the paperwork for GREEN CARD.I am going to fill out paperword
for DIVORCE! !!!


I am going to fill out papers. Divorce papers

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I married African man from Nigeria, he live in London, they are all the same out to get GREEN CARD, but he did not get the card with me I saw the signs of lying,deceit not being vested in the marriage.he still want me to fill out paperwork for him, we do not live together now,but he asked me to do him a favor and fill out the paperwork for GREEN CARD.I am going to fill out paperword
for DIVORCE! !!!


I am going to fill out papers. Divorce papers

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home