Tuesday, April 17, 2007

In Mama's Hood, Blackness is an Issue
by Jolivette Andrson 'the poet warrior'

I have had my words printed, taken out of context, in online newspapers for the past few weeks. A man by the name of Greeson, in his attempt to support Barack Obama's candidacy for President of the United States of America, used a piece of an interview I did with a student and printed the part that best fit his position. My position on Mr. Obama and any other candidate remains the same, simply, 'if you can not tell me what you plan to do for Black folks in this country, you do not have my vote.'

Prior to Mr. Obama's being a 'serious candidate', many have felt that we were just voting for the lesser of two evils or as I often say, 'the best of a mess'. However, I am appalled at the fact that some seem to think that I should temper my tone and position on Blackness simply because Mr. Obama is Black. NO! NO! AND HELL NAW!

I have even more constructive criticism because now I actually think there is some hope that some of my concerns will be addressed on a national scale. And, can someone explain to me just why is it that all of a sudden the national media is focusing on race? From Don Imus (who has been doing the same level of BS for over 10 years, to the Secretary of State from Indiana, Todd Rokita comparing the Democratic Party and Black people as a Master / Slave Relationship, I ask, what the hell is going on? Have we finally realized that there has been too much silence about race in this country, or is Obama being set up?

Between those who don't want him to have to deal with people like me who question his position on 'Blackness' because there is an absence of generational experience and understanding as it relates to Jim Crow America to those that support him blindly simply because he is a Black man, will a National Conversation on Race and Misogyny help or hinder his run for the presidency? You be the judge.

I am still going to raise Nadja to be 'race conscious'. She will know that she is Black and African and American and eventually make her own decisions about how to define herself instead of letting others define who she is to exercise power over her.

Peace!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home