Saturday, September 22, 2007

Dobet Gnahore's Na Afriki (and for we who love Africa)

It was a busy, beautiful day in Lafayette, Indiana. The breeze seem to speak of transformation. A hint of goodness, peace and joy. I rushed from work to get myself and my 16 month old daughter, Nadja ready to go to a concert. Nadja's father is from Ivory Coast so anytime I can expose her to people from that part of the world, I make it my mission to do so.
When I heard that Dobet Gnahore was coming to town, all I knew was that she was from Ivory Coast and that the organization 'Friends of Bob' would bring her to town for a concert performance at Duncan Hall in downtown Lafayette. Since I had a hisotry with helping FOB out for performances that bring in groups from Africa, I gave them a call and began to help promote Ms. Dobet's visit.

I listened to her music and fell in love with the sounds that felt like a blend of traditional Africa (mostly the percussion and wood flute instrumentations resonated with me) and contemporary Africa and even African American sounds (mostly the guitar and bass). Then, that voice! Dobet's voice draws you in with it's strength and soothes you like a mother's touch with it's control and calmness. This woman has something super special is what I felt. Then, the dots of existence started connecting like you would not believe.

As I read the liner notes from the CD, I begin to put the pieces together that connected me and my daughter to Dobet and the people of Ivory Coast through my husband (we are no longer together). The pain associated with that relationship challenged how I dealt with people born in Africa. Dobet helped to restore a piece of me that I needed to heal so I can speak to my child in a positive way about her people. I am not where I need to be but I am on my way.

It is often difficult for African Americans to understand the African struggle the same as it is probably difficult for Africans to understand the African-American struggle. In spirit and blood, we are all African but other factors exist to keep us from even wanting to know and understand each other. The artist can play a pivotal role in breaking barriers and building bridges of hope and understanding between we who love Africa.

My husband was part of the artist colony called Ki-Yi M'Bock. He spoke of his time with the Ki-Yi M'Bock often and I thought of it as the ideal situation for any artist to be in for a period of time. Dancers, singers, visual artists, etc spend time together strictly working on their skills and their craft with the responsibility to take what they learn to the world to share cultural knowledge through the performing arts. It turns out, Dobet grew up as part of this artist colony.

What I appreciated the most about Dobet's performance in Lafayette is that she seemed to have an artists' understanding of what needs to be done to promote one's work. She stayed true to the spirit and energy created in the studio when making Na Afriki. I had been listening to her CD for 2 to 3 weeks before she arrived, and I was able to sing along with some of the songs. I feel that those who bought her CD after seeing her perform will truly appreciate the CD and cherish it always because the intergrity of an artist who has the audience in mind when they create, compose and perform their work live is very present.

Finally, Dobet's presence on stage is of God. She is beautiful from the 'inside out' and from the 'outside in'. She along with her husband composed their music so that her skills as a dancer can come forth in just the right places to wow the audience.
I am truly blessed to have been a part of the audience to witness Dobet's performance and the band members are highly skilled and add depth and breath to the live shows and the recordings.

Much continued success Dobet!

In peace,
Jolivette Anderson Douoning and Nadja Douoning
Lafayette, Indiana

Jolivette Anderson-Douoning is a poet / educator / activist from Louisiana and Mississippi. She currently lives in Lafayette, IN with her daughter Nadja. She works for the Purdue University Black Cultural Center. Jolivette is available for poetry performances and workshops for youth and adults.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home