Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bright Eyes, Brown Skin (the childrens book)

My daughter Nadja is 1 year old as of May 4, 2007. She received a gift for her birthday, a book by Cheryl Willis Hudson and Bernette G. Ford with illustrations by George Ford, title 'Bright Eyes, Brown Skin'. The book has been around for a while because I remember purchasing it for my nephew when he was 3 years old, he is 9 now.

I am writing about this book because I am able to see the immediate difference it has made in my child. My nephew lived in TN and I in MS so I don't know the day to day experiences he had but my daughter, during the first time I read the book to her, sat still and was very attentive as I was reading to her. She saw young black children playing together, smiling, enjoying each others' company, playing dress up and being tucked in for bed or nap time. My 1 year old is imitating these depictions of these children.

Last night, when I wanted her to go to bed, I simply said, 'Warm and toast, and all tucked in' which is the last line of the book and my 1 year old grabbed a blanket to lay down. SHE GOT IT, AT SUCH AN EARLY AGE!

Now, I am thinking, what did I miss when I was her age. The answer, POSITIVE IMAGES, IMAGES OF BLACK CHILDREN THAT LOOKED LIKE ME DOING POSITIVE THINGS.
The illustrator of the book and the authors and editors, chose to put the colorful full of life and warmth illustrations on bright white paper making the children almost glow. This book makes my daughter feel good about herself at 1 year old.

If any of you out there know the authors, tell them I said THANK YOU! and not just for putting the book out there but for the choices made about how the book looks and for lines like "...lips that kiss. A perfect nose. Very special hair and clothes." THANK YOU FOR HELPING MY CHILD SEE THE BEAUTY IN HERSELF!

In peace,
Jolivette 'the poet warrior'

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful story, cousin. I remember my Mother looking high, low & everywhere else for Black dolls, books, etc. as I was coming up. I made it a point do the same for my 1st daughter. These positive images have certainly paid off for her. At 13, she clearly understands why she was raised that way, and insists on doing the same for her little sister.

Keep up the wonderful work, Mama J! I will be getting the baby the book you mentioned for her first birthday!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home