Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Mommy's Night Out! with Morgan Heritage Band

March 17, 2007

Morgan Heritage, Still Rising
By Jolivette Anderson 'the poet warrior'

I had not seen them perform since the International Arts Festival in New Orleans, LA in 2002. Morgan Heritage is one of the greatest Reggae bands for a few reasons I would like to share,
1) The teach love through their lyrics in the true Rasta spirit of 'One Love'
2) They see their audiences as people who love their music and they give back by spending time with them
3) The love they have for each other as family members is visible in the way they communicate with each other on stage and back stage.

The Caribbean Village in Indianapolis was filled with people from various backgrounds but to be honest, I was glad to be able to go to a Black owned club to see a Reggae band the caliber of Morgan Heritage. Often times, as Black folks, we don't value our own culture enough to exploit it to our benefit, we only support it after another culture or race of people validate it and exploit it.

To heck with all of the political stuff for a few moments though. I am a new Mama and this was my Night Out to do something for myself. I needed to remind myself that I am sexy, fun, kind, giving, loving, trustworthy, beautiful and worthy & deserving of the absolute best. Morgan Heritage helped me in this process as I was positioned down front. Peter shook my hand. L of LMS sang to me. Mojo looked at me through his shades. Gramps smiled at me. Hallelujah! Amen! Awoman!

My daughter is my life and my eternal love. What I learned from this Mommy's Night Out is that I will teach her to not give ALL of who she is to ANYBODY. do things only and exclusively for you. This does not make you selfish, it is a sign that you are taking good (God) care of your soul so you can give the best of the things you can spare to give, like some of your time, your smile, and your kindness. The non-material things that are more valuable than the things we pay money for.

I don't know when the next Mommy's Night Out will be, but I will share with you what I learned so hopefully, sisters, mamas, women of all backgrounds, you can get Back to YOU!

Peace on your Sacred Journey,
Jolivette
3/21/2007

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cuz, I understand every word. Isn't it something powerful that WE are resonsible for these little souls? Who better could little Nadja be in the care of but YOU?! I'm so proud of you cousin; proud that we share the same family & same sentiments. Proud just because you are. Love you more everyday!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home